Job Opening – RRS
Job Title –Intern – Sustainability, Organics and Recovery
Timeframe – Temporary, 3-month (Summer)
Location – Boulder, CO
Posting Date – March 25 2019
Closing Date – April 15, 2019 or until position is filled
RRS isn’t your average consulting firm.
Sure we have databases and hi-tech gadgets and fancy degrees, but we also get our hands dirty. Our people don Tyvek suits instead of power suits, and sort through waste to provide a realistic assessment of a waste stream. We lace up our work boots instead of slipping on a pair of high heels, and research the flow of a particular type of packaging through a material recovery facility (MRF). We’re not afraid to ask the tough questions, especially if it leads to the right solution for sustainability.
That’s not to say we don’t clean up well. We can go from the sorting room to the board room to provide actionable solutions that are based on science and real-world application. We’re even one of Michigan’s 50 Companies to Watch. We build infrastructure, expand recovery, enhance product design, improve business practices and solve issues across the supply chain. All in a day’s work.
We have an in-house communications team that delivers compelling messages to reach the ops manager, the CEO, the mayor, or the public at large. Industry knowledge and the means to communicate it – that’s a powerful combination.
With over 500 years of combined experience and more than 900 projects under our belt, we’ve been around the block, a few times. Our experts include cutting-edge industry professionals, engineers, economists, technical analysts, and communication specialists who possess core strengths in materials and recovery, life cycle management and applied sustainable design. We are called upon by industry publications, organizations and conferences to lead the conversation and drive change.
We get sustainability, organics and recovery, but we also get people. We want top performers that can strengthen relationships, build and grow the business, all while having a positive environmental impact. Sometimes that takes flexibility. RRS understands that normal office hours may not be M-F, 9-5. We also understand that geography is not a limitation to greatness – a virtual office can be as agile, efficient and productive as a brick and mortar office. Flexibility with an expectation of strong, smart work yields the best results for all involved. Did we mention RRS isn’t your average consulting firm?
RRS is seeking applications for a full -time, temporary summer Intern position in our Boulder, Colorado office to assist staff consultants and engineers on a variety of projects including research, data entry, solid waste planning, collection system management, and program best practices.
- Conduct research on project subject matter, data for models, marketplace and market sectors, and emerging technologies
- Assist with client projects while providing innovative and environmentally responsible solutions;
- Provide assistance with waste and recycling data analysis, assessment, data entry and management;
- Work with Data Manager to update data in company databases; and
- Database and spreadsheet design and data input;
- Organized, self-motivated, ability to set work priorities and complete work with minimal supervision;
- Creative problem analysis abilities to solve client multi-dimensional problems and projects;
- Effective verbal and written communication skills;
- Proven research experience;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Experience in ArcGIS and AutoCad preferred, but not necessary.
- A two-year degree or two years completed in a four-year program in education, economics, natural resources, environmental sciences, environmental policy, engineering, business administration or related field completed is required. Four-year degree in education, economics, natural resources, environmental sciences, environmental policy, engineering, business administration or related field is preferred.
- Two years working experience in an environmentally related field is preferred, but not necessary.
Pay Range: $15 per hour. RRS is an equal opportunity employer.
To Apply: Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and list of references. Cover letters should address the candidate’s professional goals and interests, ability to meet key and minimal qualifications (as described above) as well as their experience and interest in this position. Please submit all materials to Elizabeth Hughes at RRS.
Attn: Elizabeth Hughes, Team Resource Director
416 Longshore Drive
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105