TruCycle MRF is a multi-stage, material recovery facility (MRF) certification reflecting the level of community relationship, material sortation, commodity value, and end market success.
HOW IT WORKS
TruCycle MRF is conducted with participation from the MRF under review through a data share. Additionally, the TruCycle MRF team accesses RRS’ extensive MRF database, material sortation behavior knowledge, and 35 years of industry experience to perform the following assessments:
Evaluates the level to which residents are informed or provided guidelines on materials accepted or denied, contract terms, and reporting expectations.
Evaluates how well each material type is sorted into a commodity bale including sortability, accuracy, commoditization, and bale value.
Evaluates how well each sorted material is valued with respect to regional and national trends including value and variation, value stability, and quality.
END MARKET SUCCESS
Evaluates the success of the recycled material being repurposed into new products including producing ISRI bale commodity types, availability of known reprocessors, and need for additional processing.
The assessments are summarized in a scorecard, letter-grade format. For each stage of the assessment, RRS will identify strengths or weaknesses that should be addressed to improve MRF performance. Additionally, RRS will provide a detailed report and an estimate of the amount of material that may get recovered in the MRF.
BUILT ON DECADES OF KNOWLEDGE
True recyclability includes strong end markets, accurate sortability, and inclusive collection processes. MRFs play a pivotal role in connecting collected material to ideal markets. RRS has one of the largest databases of the US MRF fleet and has developed a proprietary approach to account for MRF variability in the TruCycle MRF analysis.
WHO SHOULD USE TRUCYCLE MRF?
- Contract with private sector MRFs or own a MRF that is privately operated
- Understand performance levels
- Enable conversations for improvement
- Demonstrate/validate the quality and comprehensiveness of sorting and marketing abilities
- Provide transparency and assurances to customers
- Compare to other MRFs
- Utilize MRFs and want to provide assurances to their contracted communities
- Validate they are providing true path to recycling
- Identify which MRFs are best positioned to partner for closed loop/circular economy initiatives
Connect with our TruCycle MRF team to get more information and start working toward creating a common understanding of true recyclability.