RRS Launches Signalfire Group to Provide Policy Development and Implementation Services
Resource Recycling Systems, Inc. (RRS), a sustainable material and resource consulting firm, launched Signalfire Group. As a subsidiary of RRS, Signalfire Group will provide research, planning, and implementation support to governments and organizations utilizing policy and regulation as a tool to guide sustainable materials management and circular economy strategies.
“RRS has been working with government, businesses, non-profits, NGOs, and universities for over 35 years. We have seen the evolution of material recovery approaches that now engage all players in the manufacturing, use, collection, recovery, and processing value chain,” said Jim Frey, RRS co-founder and CEO. “Signalfire will focus targeted support for the changing recovery model that will enable organizations to better participate in long term sustainable circular economy initiatives.”
RRS created the new subsidiary to dedicate resources to help manufacturers, retailers, and governments enter and participate in new recycling systems. Signalfire Group provides services focused on developing and implementing best-in-class policy and regulatory approaches – navigating the sometimes-complex implications for business and community. Services include:
- Policy/Legislative Analysis & Development
- Market Research & Landscape Analysis
- Stakeholder Engagement & Recruitment
- Operations & Compliance Support
- Program Design/Assessment & Pilot Implementation
Signalfire Group is led by three environmental industry veterans with decades of experience in sustainability, materials management, policy, and product stewardship:
- Resa Dimino– Resa has worked in recycling businesses (Bronx 2000 / Big City Forest, WeRecycle), with trade groups (NAPCOR), and served as the lead policy staff for the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC). While at DEC, she managed the development of the state’s Beyond Waste 10-year sustainable materials management strategy and helped to formulate the state’s e-scrap EPR legislation. Resa currently serves as a managing principal at RRS overseeing the infrastructure and engineering team.
- Garth Hickle– Garth led the product stewardship program for the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) overseeing the implementation of EPR programs for rechargeable batteries, electronics, and architectural paint. In his consulting practice, he has worked with a variety of public and private clients on EPR and circular economy policy development for waste electric and electronic equipment (WEEE), packaging, carpet, mattresses, and more. He is currently serving as the managing director of the International Electronics Management Network and has been a board member of the Sustainable Electronics Recycling International (SERI) and Conservation Minnesota. Garth is also a senior lecturer at the University of Minnesota. He holds a PhD from Erasmus University in the Netherlands.
- David Stitzhal– David has served as a delegate to national product stewardship dialogues and served on teams advising on product stewardship and EPR matters to Seattle, King County, the Washington Department of Ecology, and the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality. David also helped develop early local, state, and national policy for the take-back of unwanted medications. He was the founding coordinator of the Northwest Product Stewardship Council and served as an original stakeholder of the National Electronics Product Stewardship Initiative. He currently serves as board president of the National Stewardship Action Council and president of Full Circle Environmental, Inc.
“As more organizations are working to develop a circular economy, there is an increasing interest in shared financial and operational responsibility for materials management,” said Resa Dimino, RRS principal and Signalfire Group partner. “Signalfire Group provides a dedicated, focused effort to help governments and businesses navigate the challenges of this new model and apply proven, practiced solutions.”
Signalfire Group relies on the expertise of its leadership and draws upon RRS’ decades of experience as well as other strategic partners for project support and execution.
More information can be found online at www.SignalfireGroup.com.
MEDIA CONTACT: Melissa Radiwon, email@example.com, 734.996.1361 ext 117