Brennan Madden is a senior consultant with RRS. His technical skill set is highlighted by detailed data analysis, geographic information system (GIS) mapping, model development, lifecycle analyses, and database development and management. Brennan has been integral in refining the TruCycle recyclability/compostability assessment; developing a database cross-referencing U.S. communities, recycling facilities, recycled commodity end markets, schools and haulers; and modeling an optimized system of MRFs and transfer stations.
Recent Team Projects:
- Global Brands/Manufacturers: RRS offers TruCycle – an evaluation of the recyclability or compostability of product packaging that examines the acceptance of a particular material in community programs; its ability to be sorted at the MRF or its compatibility with composter configurations, and its marketability to the end market. Due to the proprietary nature of the information, most TruCycle assessments are covered under non-disclosure agreements.
- National Trade Associations: The American Chemistry Council (ACC), Association of Postconsumer Plastic Recyclers (APR), Carton Council of North America (CCNA), Foodservice Packaging Institute (FPI), and the National Association for PET Container Resources (NAPCOR) joined together to commission the MRF Material Flow Study that evaluated how packages flow in a variety of MRFs and what potential changes to the sorting processes could improve recovery.
- Major International Retail Chain: RRS performed an assessment of the solid waste and recovery infrastructure, modeling of optimal diversion under current infrastructure, as well as a 10 year projection of potential diversion in retail stores in 15 countries.
- Carton Council: RRS has supported this collaborative association in achieving their goal of 60% U.S. carton recycling access through data research and analysis, communications and outreach, and policy/legislative monitoring and support.
- Packaging Recyclability/Compostability
- Life Cycle & Industrial Ecology
- Data Analysis
- GIS Mapping
- Model Development
Recent Speaking Engagements/Publications
- Northern California Recycling Association Conference (Mar 2019): Market Impact on Recycling
- Michigan Recycling Coalition Conference (May 2016): Material Recovery Facility Material Flow Study
- Environmental Show of the South (April 2013): Extending Recycling’s Reach with MRF Hub and Spoke Optimization
- Master of Science in Natural Resources and Environment-Sustainable Systems, University of Michigan
- Graduate Certificate in Industry Ecology, University of Michigan
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Specializations in Neuroscience, Biology, Bioethics, Film Production, Loyola University Chicago