Kerry Sandford is a Senior Engineer for RRS with over 35 years of experience in recycling and waste management programs. His extensive knowledge of material recovery facilities and material processing include system design, waste stream composition, feasibility analyses, cost modeling, as well as MRF equipment audit, selection, testing and maintenance. Kerry’s contributions to MRF infrastructure and material processing continue with testing of material flow through current systems and equipment in lab settings.
Recent Team Projects
- Multiple Trade Associations: RRS analyzed material, characterized behavior and measured throughput of targeted materials as they moved through processing equipment at MRFs.
- Emmet County Department of Public Works, MI: RRS designed and implemented recycling processing facilities and equipment enabling the recycling program to grow. RRS continues to offer technical support and equipment reviews.
- Montgomery Regional Solid Waste Authority, VA: RRS provided an engineer review of a transfer station upgrade and recommendations for equipment, labor requirements, and associated costs.
- RRRASOC MRF, MI: RRS acted as owner’s engineer for insurance due diligence and proposed equipment rebuild solutions after a facility fire caused extensive damage.
- Orange County, NC: RRS provided engineering analysis of MRF and transfer station for development of new facilities and equipment.
- Material Recovery Facility (MRF) & Line Design
- MRF Equipment
- Material Processing
Recent Speaking Engagements/Publications
- ReFocus Recycling Summit (Apr 2016): Optical Sorting and Quality Assurance
- Resource Recycling Inc. (Nov 2014): Meet the Modern MRF, co-author JD Lindeberg
- WasteExpo (Apr 2014): Recovery of Food Residuals – Waste or Resource
- ISRI Annual Conference (Apr 2012): Challenges with Plastics Baling
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, University of Michigan
- Supplemental Courses in Manufacturing Technologies and Natural Resources, University of Michigan