Marissa Segundo is a senior communications strategist with RRS with more than ten years of success in strategic planning, media relations, and team leadership. She has provided clients in the public and private sectors, as well as product stewardship initiatives with innovative communications plans centered on sustainability, waste reduction, and recycling. Marissa utilizes a variety of digital and traditional outreach methods, and stresses the importance of understanding your impact through measurement of effort.
Recent Team Projects
- St. Johns County, FL: RRS created a recycling coordinator handbook to improve reporting capabilities and maximize outreach opportunities to residents, commercial businesses, and schools.
- Southeastern Oakland County Resource Recovery Authority (SOCRRA), MI: RRS assisted SOCRRA with coordinating and negotiating long-term contracts, material recovery facility (MRF) technical assistance, rate structure analysis, as well as communication strategy and tactics for engaging the public.
- Glass Recycling Coalition (GRC): With sponsorship from the Glass Packaging Institute, RRS facilitated the development of the GRC and acts as the managing consultancy representing the coalition to further the recycling of glass in the U.S.
- Foodservice Packaging Institute (FPI): RRS conducts research and analysis, supports membership growth, and develops communications and outreach to advance the recovery of foodservice packaging materials.
- Recycle Florida Today
- Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA)
- Pinellas Partners in Recycling
- Public Relations Society of America
- Media Relations
- Community-Based Social Marketing
- Community Recycling Education
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) Communications
Recent Speaking Engagements/Publications
- SWANA Florida Summer Conference (Jul 2019): But Have You Asked Your Residents?
- Waste Management Recycling Improvement Workshop (Jul 2019): Recycling Improvement: Best Practices & Case Studies
- SERDC Recycling Summit (Nov 2018): Making the Case for Recycling Trainer Workshop
- Municipal Waste Management Association (Oct 2017): Media Relations for Solid Waste & Sustainability
- Recycle Florida Today Conference (June 2017): What’s in a Name? How Recycling Language and Terms Make a Difference in Outreach
- SWANA Florida Chapter and Senior Executive Seminar Conference (Feb 2017): Glass Recycling Coalition: Glass Recycling in Florida
- WFTS – ABC Affiliate (Jul 2016): Travel “Green” this Summer
- Indiana Recycling Coalition Annual Conference (Jun 2016): Smart Recycling Communication & Social Media on a Budget
- Recycle Florida Today Annual Conference (Jun 2016): Workshop: SMART Recycling Communications on a Shoestring
- Plastic Recycling Update: Resource Recycling Magazine (May 2016): Critical Mass – Polystyrene Foam Recycling (co-author Catherine Goodall)
- Michigan Recycling Coalition Governor’s Recycling Summit (May 2016): 3-hour Workshop: Smart Recycling Communications on a Budget
- WFTS – ABC Affiliate (Dec 2016): Holiday Recycling Tips
- LarGoing Green Publication (Jan 2015): LarGoing Green on Wheels
- Recycle Florida Today Annual Conference (Jun 2014): Mixed Recycling Outreach
- SWANA Florida Chapter Meeting (Mar 2014): Mixed Recycling Outreach
- LarGoing Green Publication (Oct 2013): Mixed Recycling (received the Silver Savvy Award)
- SWANA Florida Chapter Meeting (Jun 2013): Working with Generations X and Y
- Recycle Florida Today Annual Conference (Jan 2013): Outreach for Increasing Yard Waste Diversion
- Bachelor of Science in Mass Communications-Public Relations & Bachelor of Arts in Foreign Languages – Spanish, Southeast Missouri State University
- Accreditation in Public Relations (APR), Universal Board of Accreditation & Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) National
- Accreditation in Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) – Green Associate, US Green Building Council
- Certified Recycling Systems Manager, SWANA