84% of textile waste is sent to landfills at a cost of $3.7 billion.
Did you know, textiles increased in the municipal solid waste stream by a staggering 71% between 2000 and 2014? That is more than double the growth of any other major waste category. During the same time, textile diversion rates remained stagnant at 15%-16%.
A majority of this unprecedented growth in textile waste is driven by fast fashion and consumer behavior. Fashion cycles – from catwalk to retailer – move at lightning speed with multiple cycles per year. Add on the fact that our culture is steeped in rapid consumerism and you end up with disposable clothing.
Textile and Apparel Flows in the U.S.
Get Informed & Get Involved
Links to RRS textile recovery information/resources:
- Fact Sheet: Textile Waste
- Blog: Let’s Talk Textile Waste
- Recorded Webinar: The Cost & Environmental Impact of U.S. Textile & Apparel Waste
- Recorded Webinar: How U.S. Textile Recovery Works & Emerging Innovations in Sortation Technologies
- Recorded Webinar: State & Municipal Views on Textile Waste in the U.S.
Links to upcoming textile recovery events:
- Sep 20 Webinar: A Rising Tide of Apparel & Textile Waste – What Brands Are Doing & Is It Enough?
- Oct 9-13 Conference: Textile Exchange Sustainability Conference
Links to industry articles/information:
- Business Insider Nordic, Sep 14, 2017: H&M’s charity arm has found a revolutionary way to recycle textiles – “The holy grail of circular fashion”
- Sustainable Brands, Sep 5, 2017: Good News, Bad News for Reducing Textile Industry Impacts
- Waste360, Aug 8, 2017: Rocky River, Ohio Partners with Simple Recycling for Textile Collection Services
- Sustainable Brands, Jul 24, 2017: New Circular Solutions Aim to Eliminate Waste from Kids’ Clothing
- AfricaNews, Jun 21, 2017: Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda Face U.S. Sanction After Used Clothes Ban
- GreenPeace International, May 8, 2017: After the Binge the Hangover, International Fashion Consumption Survey
- McKinsey & Company, Oct 2016: Style That’s Sustainable: A New Fast Fashion Formula